Monday, June 13, 2016

 Isla Rose is now 7 weeks old, and thoroughly enchanting.

I've spent every weekend with the family, trying to help out.  I do dishes and clean bathrooms, cook meals and run errands, and my reward is to hold the baby and give my daughter a bit of a break.  Isla has been a bit fractious at night, so while I'm down there she sleeps in my room so her mum can get a better sleep.  It's a precious thing, to hold that baby in the wee hours of the night, rocking her to sleep and marvelling at how gorgeous she is. When she wakes I take her in to be fed, then she comes back with me to settle down for the rest of the night.
She laughs and smiles, and is starting to make talking sounds; that's guaranteed to melt the hardest heart.  But she's not a quiet baby anymore; she has a fierce temper, and decided opinions about what she wants.  My goodness me, she can make her feelings known!
She can also wriggle across the bed to get to her mum, and has rolled over once.  Her arms and legs are moving in practice crawling motions, and she can get up on her elbows to see what is going on in the world. I don't think she's going to waste a lot of time just looking at things; she's going to go get them.
She has two half-sisters who adore her, and I'm sure she'll be trying to keep up with them as soon as she's able.  It will be interesting watching her grow up; I always said to my rambunctious, headstrong daughter "I hope you get a girl just like you!" thinking that then she would know what I went through.  Hmmm. I think I'm too old to deal with another child like her. I hope Isla isn't quite the handful that Seonaid was.

This has been a long weekend in Australia, and I came home on Sunday so I could have a day at home.  I managed to put the borders on the blocks that have sat on my design wall for 2 months, so that's another thing crossed off the UFO list.  I will take great satisfaction in updating the list and choosing another project to work on.
Of course I did what I always do when I can't get to the sewing machine; bought fabric.  Lots of fabric.  Shonny's place is very close to Spotlight, so I've paid quite a few visits; then one weekend Mereth came down to visit her grandies and we went to Tricia's.  The tally isn't going to be pretty, even though the fabric is.  I'm going to give up the pretense of stash-busting this year. I'm just going to do what makes me happy, and if I have a whole new stash at the end of it, so be it.



5 comments:

Laura in IA 10:45 PM  

I acquired a lot of fabric between 1999 and 2014 during the births of 6 grandchildren. Much of it went unsewn but I am delighted to have it at the prices I paid then to sew now. I still love most of it and what I don't love so much ends up pieced for the backings. It's the only way to get your fabric fondling fix while so busy with the grands. You have a darling grand baby. Enjoy.

Panto Pam 10:51 PM  

She is precious!

Gypsy Quilter 11:26 PM  

What a beautiful treasure. Can't believe she's holding her head up so well already. Your daughter is very lucky that you live close by. Dolly and I are looking forward to seeing more completed UFOS and pictures of new fabric.

Karen in Breezy Point 1:01 AM  

It sounds like you are getting lots of snuggle time in--she is so adorable! Shopping for fabric is just as much fun (and important) as sewing it!

Tanya 9:44 PM  

I love seeing you work through your "resting" projects, inspires me to get on with mine instead of always looking for something new. Good on you for doing what makes you happy, life is short so just buy the fabric 😊

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP