Sunday, March 20, 2016

 On Friday Mereth and I went down to Adelaide for my DD's baby shower; Shonny has only 6 weeks to go, and we're all getting pretty excited at the thought of another baby girl in the family.  We took the dogs with us, as we weren't sure how long we'd be away; they are old hands at traveling, so it was an easy trip with them.

For dinner on Friday night they had bowls full of roast beef; until recently Shonny was working at a restaurant and they threw out so much meat from the carvery each night.  She started bringing some home and freezing it for our puppies, so they have a lovely treat when they come to stay.

Check out Dolly's fancy dinner plate;
Harrods of London!  Our friends brought it back from England as a Thank-you gift for babysitting the farm and Tawny. I laughed and laughed when I unwrapped it, what a brilliant souvenir.  They wanted to bring one back for Pippi too, but they didn't have room, so Pips has to share.  Dolly is such a fusspot about her food, this just reaffirms her conviction that she's Royalty.

We came home late last night, and I was too tired to do anything except sleep; however this morning I tackled the last borders on the grey quilt.  I made no attempt to make the borders the right length, I just sewed together enough triangles so that I had four strips a bit longer than each side. I lined the start and end up with the border, and pinned the triangles to the border until I could see how much excess there was.  Then I just took tiny extra seams between the triangles until the triangles matched the border.
I only needed to take a tiny seam, just a few threads away from the existing seam.
That took one eighth of an inch off each time, so I only had to adjust between 4 and 6 seams each side.  It was a lot easier than getting out the tape measure and the calculator.

Once all the borders were attached I ran a line of stitching around the edge to hold all those seams in place, and it was Finished!  I'm so relieved.  I thought I was going to be sewing on this forever.  I don't quite know what to do with myself now; the design wall is empty and nothing is clamouring for attention; I will have to consult the UFO list and choose something else.  I have a sneaking suspicion that my Dear Jane will be next in line for borders....

9 comments:

Diane-crewe 9:06 PM  

OH MY!!! what a super posh dog bowl!! lol x How wonderful to have the family together to celebrate a soon to be "new" arrival x

darlynn 1:25 AM  


the border treatment is outstanding. you did a great job!

Gretchen Weaver 1:44 AM  

Awesome quilt! I always sew up the binding when I finish a top, otherwise down the road I don't have fabric that matches anymore and I'm stuck trying find similar fabric which is no longer in style. Blessings, Gretchen

Sue SA 6:34 AM  

Great job getting the borders to meet...I have used the sneaky extra seam allowance in the past too - but never made such a complicated border, I do love your pieced borders, they are never plain! The whole quilt looks fantastic. I do hope one day soon you get the joy of quilting a few of these wonderful completed tops.

Special dogs deserve special bowls, but I am sure it wouldn't always stop the arguments if some tries to sneak a bit extra!

QuiltinLibraryLady 1:00 PM  

Your quilt is beautiful...totally awesome! All those borders would just do me in. I love borders on quilts, but that is where I always get bogged down...just don't like the job of putting them on.

jude's page 8:31 PM  

Gorgeous quilt, love your borders, a big job well done.

Tanya 9:04 PM  

That quilt is spectacular well done

Chookyblue...... 6:04 AM  

Gorgeous quilt....

Bag End Gardener 8:03 AM  

Oh, you did make me smile with this. I suspect we've all fudged borders in this way once or twice . . . :-}

Beautiful piecing, look forward to seeing it quilted.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP