Wednesday, August 27, 2014

These triangle borders are slowing me down, I just can't get motivated to tackle the measuring and attaching of them.  I cut and sewed them with no trouble, but I can't get enthused about the calculating and fudging the next step will involve.

 They measure 2" on the long side, which needed to be on the straight grain of the fabric.  I cut 3.25" squares, then cut them twice diagonally to give the right size triangles.  I added an extra step to make aligning them easy.

Before I moved the triangles I aligned the 2" line of the ruler to the diagonal cuts and trimmed off the dogears in situ.
I did that on all four sides, and that gave me really accurate results when I pieced the triangles together.  A rotating cutting mat would make this super easy, but I was too lazy to find mine so I just moved around to get in the best position to make those cuts.
Getting rid of the dog ears made it so easy to line up the triangles, so that there would be a nice straight edge when they were sewn together. 
Trimming them all at once was so much easier than working on each stack of traingles after they'd been moved.
 Next time I need to make this sort of border I will be able to refer back to this post, which is a good thing.  I just know that in a few months time I'll forget what I did.  I just hope I don't forget that I wrote this post :(


7 comments:

Karen 9:17 PM  

I have a small piece that I have one triangle border sewn on. I just can't get motivated to do the other three.

Gypsy Quilter 10:54 PM  

What a great idea. I'm sure that I'm not the only one sitting here saying, "now why didn't I think of that when . . . ."

Thanks for sharing.

Sandy 12:57 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandy 1:00 AM  

Brilliant! Would you mind if I put a link up to this post on my blog?

Love the triangle border, btw.

Diane 1:17 AM  

I wish I could make an "e- encyclopedia" for all the wonderful tips and techniques that you and so many of my other favorite and smart quilt bloggers share. Like you I might forget you blogged about this. Thanks for all you share.

Gretchen Weaver 2:28 AM  

Thanks for the information about the triangles! Trimming off dog ears is a necessary nuisance. From now on I'm doing the new & improved method.

Jan 3:45 AM  

Love that triangle tip! I've been blunting triangles individually, but will definitely keep this idea handy.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP