Thursday, March 20, 2014

I'm enjoying my blue and brown blocks very much, but the pull of the old UFOs is still strong.  I don't think I've ever felt this motivated to finish old projects, I'm usually quite happy to abandon them and go play with something new.  It's been so satisfying to cross the tops off the UFO list, and to make backings for them and put them in the quilting queue, I just want to keep on while I feel this way.  I have several reeeeaally old sets of blocks, and I put them aside because I couldn't make the decision about where to go next with them; I want this year to be the year I buckled down and worked out what to do next , and then did it.

Two that have been weighing on my mind are these;

 a pile of Sunflower blocks, yet to be appliqued onto their backgrounds,
and some Snowflake blocks, begun in the dim dark mists of time.  Probably late 90's ??  They were sitting in their boxes next to each other, and Mereth suggested combining them, which is an idea I loved.  But I still haven't done anything with them; it seems such a huge job, working out the actual means of making a sensible quilt out of them.

I like them alternated like this,
but I'm also contemplating setting them on point.
I would have to make more Snowflakes, I have plenty of the Sunflowers, but only 12 of the applique blocks.  7 are stitched, 5 are prepped.  I'm thinking I would need another 4, to make 16 in total; the funny thing is, Mereth and I still have enough of these old pinks to make the extra blocks.  Some things just never leave the stash, even after 15 or 20 years.

The background fabric will be a problem though.  I'm thinking I would put all the Sunflower blocks on a cream print, so that I don't have to bother matching that white fabric, and that would form a nice pattern in itself.  Looks like I'll have to put my designing hat on for this one.

I've never finished an applique quilt; I've made lots of blocks, but I've never kept on sewing until they were a finished top, let alone a quilt.  It's not that I can't applique, it's just that it's never held my attention for very long.  I would be very proud of myself if I got this lot of blocks transformed into an actual quilt; it would be a huge accomplishment, and I'm going to aim for that.

6 comments:

SuMac 11:34 AM  

I prefer the blocks on point for this one.
Keep up the good work attacking those UFO's. I love to see these old projects come out and get finished.

Gypsy Quilter 12:57 PM  

I love the on-point layout. Really a great idea. Whittles.com carries a Bella parchment that might work well for background. It's a creamy muslin color, but really beautiful fabric to work with. I recently used it in my uncle's quilt.

JeniceD 12:59 PM  

The on-point setting is lovely!

Dasha 5:12 PM  

They are great blocks and I am with everyone else - I love the on-point setting. At the moment, you have more of the sunflower blocks that the snowflakes, and if I have counted correctly, there are already 16 blocks. Can you alternate the setting so that you use more of the sunflowers & therefore not need to make extra snowflakes?

moosecraft 9:11 PM  

Oh my goodness! This is gorgeous! Setting them on point is perfection! I do like the idea of having the sunflowers on the cream... and in most of the antique quilts, there is a slight variation in the backings anyways... a bit of scrap will only add to the beauty! Looking forward to seeing what you do with this!

Katie Z. 11:13 AM  

I really like both options, and am so impressed that you are still plugging away at UFOs! What a lovely lot of quilt tops you are gaining.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP