Friday, February 21, 2014

Another weekend ahead, and I don't know how much sewing I can do; I've got to do some long-neglected bookwork, and once the paperwork is spread out on every available surface there's not much room left for sewing.  I probably need a break anyway, I've sewn madly all this year, achieved a lot of finished long-term projects, and it will be therapeutic to put on my accountant's hat for a couple of weeks.

My latest finish is a big one.  I ignored everything else yesterday, and used every available moment to sew the Triple Irish Chain into one piece. 

It seemed like it was never going to end, just one endless seam after another.  There was a small break when I went round to pick up Mereth and Pippi for the nightly walk; Mereth had to put up with me complaining that my neck hurt from so much sewing, and I was silly to have done so much, and I was going to leave it for a while.  Not.  I went home after our walk, skipped dinner, and sewed even more frantically till 11pm.  Then I hung the finished top on the design wall and went straight to bed.   I am more than a little insane; however, it feels very good to get things over and done with.
I felt triumphant this morning, seeing it hanging up.  I'm very pleased with it, and quite chuffed that it lays as flat as a tack, with all those hundreds of seams and itty-bitty squares.  It took ages, but it was worth it.  
The emphasis this year seems to be on completing things that have been on my list for a very long time; all those ancient UFOs, and now this chain quilt which has been on the to-do list for at least 8 years.  How amazing to look at the photo of the antique quilt, and then at my copy, and think, 'I did it!  I made it!' 
I love that feeling of accomplishment; those three little words are very powerful, like a thumping great pat on the back.  I remember my DD as a very small girl, pushing the buttons on the microwave to start things cooking, and her triumphant 'I did it!' afterwards.  Kids take such joy in achieving things, I think adults should be more like that, instead of immediately trudging onto the next job on the list.  Every time I sit down at the machine to sew now I get that feeling as I hear Beloved humming away; I did it, I fixed her.  I finished those UFOs, and this big top.  A little bit of quiet elation is in order.

Next on the UFO list are these two tops, only needing borders.  
I was stumped over them before, hopefully this time I can dredge up a few ideas.  I think I may have to make string borders for the Spiderweb, which will be a lot of work but would fit in well with the centre of the top.  
I will let the ideas simmer while I tackle the bookwork.

11 comments:

Brenda 1:00 PM  

A triumph.

Kyle 1:26 PM  

Just found your blog. Your triple Irish Chain is so exciting especially with that wonderful green as the background fabric. It's so vibrant. Glad you finished the top!

Dasha 3:53 PM  

You should be justifiably feel proud of yourself for that finish. There is a heap of work in that double Irish Chain and it is looking great. Here is a cyber pat on the back, and a few appreciative OOOHs and AAAHs

Diane-crewe 7:15 PM  

that is BIG xx A change from sewing will see you back fresh to carry on with the finishing off of projects xx

julieQ 12:04 AM  

Awesome finish!! Love the green, it is so fun! That spider web quilt is a wonderful top...love it!!

moosecraft 12:12 AM  

You did it! :-) It looks fabulous too... the green perks it up nicely! I whole heartedly agree with that feeling of accomplishment... and the satisfaction a person gets when they take on a challenge and follow through to a successful finish! Ahhhh.... sweet victory! :-)

Jan 5:41 AM  

It is splendid!

Sandy 6:03 AM  

Wow Keryn, you have some amazing UFO's! Its funny how we can get sick of a project and put it away forever, then when it finally comes back out and gets finished, its all new and beautiful again. Good job, getting so much done!

Gypsy Quilter 1:31 PM  

Super BIG congratulations on getting another lovely top together. I hope you'll hang this one someplace special and enjoy it for a very long time.

Kristie 11:26 PM  

BEAUTIFUL! Another quilt to put on my "to do" list! I love the use of the green.

Have a wonderful and Blessed day
Kristie

Lucy 10:23 PM  

oh my I love your irish chain. It is a pattern I really wan to make some day.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP