Sunday, December 23, 2012

I'm steaming ahead on the pieced strips, and even though I've tried to slow down the end is in sight.  This was a lovely quick pattern to sew, and no agonising over colour placement.  I could have made the strips a lot scrappier, but I wasn't in the mood for that, I just wanted to use up the strips I'd cut. I love the colours in this quilt, and I don't think it suffers from not being too scrappy.  I have only half of one row to do and then it's time to put all the strips together, which will go fairly quickly too. 



For those who want to try this pattern, the strips are cut 3" wide, and I strip pieced them so that I could slice it into 3" sections.  The triangles at the end of each strip are made by cutting a 5.5" square and cutting it diagonally twice.  The triangles are oversize, but I just trimmed off the excess as I sewed them.

 When the strips are sewn togethere there is extra green fabric floating the squares, which helps if you need to even up the edges of the strips later. 
You won't be cutting off the points of any squares.  And as a green strip will be sewn to each edge, it will all just blend in anyway.

I took a photo of the end of the strip so you can see how easy it is.

 I'll put a green triangle on each of the corners later, but that will be the work of seconds.  I'm more interested in getting all the major construction done first and I'll attend to the details at the end.

It's 42 degrees C (107 degrees F) here today, just horrible.  On Friday everywhere we went people were talking about the weather forecast for today, about how hot and windy it was going to be and how we'd all have to take care to stay inside and stay cool.  Once upon a time we didn't have such accurate predictions, so it was always a nasty shock when the temperature climbed to these silly levels.  I much prefer knowing in advance, so I can be prepared, and can get the garden battened down.  And now, having finished the last customer quilt for the year, I'm going into my air-conditioned sewing room to really make some progress.

5 comments:

Me and My Stitches 11:30 PM  

I really like this quilt - what a great way to quickly use up some leftovers. We had a terribly hot summer here (in Iowa) too - now we have snow on the ground and I'm happy for a white Christmas!

sewprimitive karen 2:09 AM  

Ends up looking as pretty and characteristic as your others!

One Minnesota Quilter 8:23 AM  

Pretty - thanks for sharing sizes and tips. Happy holidays!

Judy

Jan 12:05 PM  

Oh, my goodness that is hot! It's nice and chilly here - around 30F.
You've been speeding along on your strippie. Thanks for the directions; I love it!
Merry Christmas to you!

Evelyn aka Starfishy 9:14 PM  

Very pretty quilt! I love the old fashioned strippy looking quilts and agree with you it is better to cut those side triangles big and then trim! I hope it cools off for you soon, those temperatures sound unbearable! Cheers! Evelyn

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP