Thursday, January 12, 2012

The sewing room is set up the way I want it, just have to bring my design wall down from the hall. 

I love having enough space to have an ironing board set up next to the machine, and whenever space permits I like to have a U-shaped sewing area.  Just knowing that I have things arranged the way I like it makes me want to get in there and sew, sew, sew.  This area is an enclosed verandah at the back of the house, and it's plenty big enough for my sewing, and to have the treadmill set up. It's such a luxury having space again.

I haven't brought any of my stash to the new house, I want to work on the precut pieces I have,and sew up a kit or two.  It would be counter-productive to clutter up my sewing space with fabric that I'm not actually using, and it's nice to have a lightened version of my sewing space.  There's room to move, and no piles of stuff to make me guilty.  I should be able to get some things finished in my streamlined setup.

I'm going to be keeping track of my stash this year, and trying to  stay within the bounds of only buying as much fabric as I use up.  I have a pile of tops that need backings, so they will be a priority.  It's a great way to use up a heap of fabric very quickly, and it puts the figures in the black.  So long as I don't use it as an excuse to splurge on new fabric....

The last time I was in Adelaide I bought some material that I needed to finish two tops, and then left the bag on the couch at John's place, so I haven't been able to complete those.  How infuriating!  I will pick it up next time I visit.


All last year it seemed I was working with 3.5" strips, and I had lots of scraps after I'd cut out what I needed for my projects.  I cut the ends of the strips into squares, 2 or 2.5" slices, or 1.5" bits. I just stockpiled them all through the year, and now it's time to do something with them.  I had these cross blocks in mind all along, though I don't have a final quilt layout planned. 

 2.5" x 3.5" rectangles
2" x 3.5" rectangles
 1.5" x 3.5" rectangles
I just know I want lots of them, and I'll have fun coming up with an arrangement later on. First I  need to cut lots of the triangle pieces and then I'll be off, sewing like a mad thing.

1 comments:

Diane-crewe 3:58 AM  

isn't it wonderful to have a space that can be left... and not dismantled for "other" uses xx

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP