Monday, March 07, 2011

Alas, not much sewing was achieved over the weekend but I did get other things done so I can't complain.  I had a scrabble around in the UFO boxes, and pulled out these paper pieced Square in Square blocks, and decided they needed to be finished.

They are about 7 years old, and it's high time I dealt with them.  I love the strange navy prints in the blocks, but I only ever had a few FQs, so it can't be a big quilt. I have 18 blocks made, and it will have to be enough.  It took me two and a half hours to take all the paper out, so the idea of making any more with that method doesn't thrill me.

I had a quick play in EQ7, and I think I'll be going with this idea.

I'll make a few of the setting triangles to see if I like how they look in reality, and I'll try and find a suitable green for the sashing in the stash, but.....  I don't think there's anything there.   I made a trial of the triple sashing with something I thought might work, but it's too strong a colour.  Need more greens!  I may have to go shopping.

The other day we were driving out to visit Mereth's DS at Bowmans Park and saw this fellow walking down the road ahead.
He made a quick skedaddle up the nearest tree, and then froze, obviously thinking his camouflage was pretty good.  Shame his stripes are running the wrong way while he's upright on the tree, he's designed to blend into the twigs and dappled light of the ground under the gum trees.  He's a Lace Monitor, and his spots and dots and stripes are just gorgeous.

16 comments:

Jennifer Woo 11:31 PM  

I love the sashing! Brings the blocks together. I love the design.

JudyCinNC 11:47 PM  

This is going to be such a nice quilt and a wonderful finish. OTL = Off The List. Love it. Judy C www.shadetreequilting.com

Tamera 12:03 AM  

Can't wait to see it finished!

Vicki H. 1:17 AM  

Very pretty design. I enjoy paper piecing until the time comes to tear out the paper....:(

I am doing a Civil War Diary quilt with 121 little paper pieced blocks, what a horrible realization about tearing out those papers......

pdudgeon 1:19 AM  

thanks so much for the idea! you've just given me the solution for a bunch of my own loose blocks that have been floating around for much too long in my drawer.

you have the most amazing animals down there! I can't imagine seeing that lizard around here on a roadway.

Gypsy Quilter 1:23 AM  

Love the setting. Those green strips really make it pop!

Chris 2:06 AM  

I love the layout for your blocks. It will be gorgeous when you get it done.

Marti 2:28 AM  

Very pretty blocks and I just love the sashing you've designed.

How fun to see one of those little creatures hiding from you.

QuiltinLibraryLady 4:45 AM  

I like the green in the sashings. Really jazzes up the whole thing.

Diana 5:35 AM  

I really love that setting and especially that color green with them. I hope to see this finished.

Bethany 8:17 AM  

Love the design and sashing. Your new found friend is stunning. I think I'd have a heart attack if one (don't think they are in Nebraska) showed up walking down the street..LOL!

Annie,  10:15 AM  

How big do Lace Monitors grow? That one looks huge! Like your quilt!

Barb in Mi 10:53 AM  

Love you blocks and setting! Never seen a lace monitor - thanks for sharing a pic!

sewprimitive karen 11:13 AM  

Oh, that quilt design is so pretty! Is that the green that doesn't work? It looks great but maybe the photo doesn't show what you see.

bingo~bonnie 12:20 PM  

AAAK! I would freak the freak out if I saw that THING!

your project looks great! love that shade of green. Love from Texas! ~bonnie

Sarah 5:40 AM  

I just love the setting triangles and how they compliment the square in square blocks.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP