Monday, February 15, 2010

I added another machine to the collection last week.  

I've wanted a Bernina 730 for ages, and this one was at the local sewing machine shop.  It's not in pristine condition, having come from a school; it must have had a very hard life judging from the chipped paint, bent foot and missing accessories.  But it still sews a beautiful stitch, so it's worth having.  I just love the shape of the early Berninas, very stylish.

I sewed some more Lady of the Lake blocks, I have 16 made now.  This is the way I've decided to press the seams.

I haven't been able to figure out a way that all the seams between blocks interlock nicely, but with this method there are only 4 seams that go the same way and I can live with that.

I press all the triangle seams open, to reduce the bulk, then add the two strips of 3 triangles at either end.

Then I add the sets of 5 triangles across the top and bottom.

And I twirl two of the intersections so that the seams between blocks nest together.

I was making each block from just two fabrics, I always think that it should be easier if you don't have to make decisions as you piece.  But then I get bored, and I'm tempted into making a few scrap blocks, and before you know it, the only blocks I like are the scrappy ones.

I like these so much I don't think I'll make anymore in just two fabrics.  Scrap is so much better.

14 comments:

sewprimitive karen 12:52 AM  

How nice to get an early Bernina. One of these days...

Nancy Anne 1:56 AM  

Thanks for the pressing info. I've been wanting to tackle a Lady of the Lake but all those intersections were keeping me from it. And I forgot to say thank you yesterday for the recipe. I've got it copied out (and saved on the computer) all ready for this summer. Sounds delish!

Ruth 2:27 AM  

It looks like a good workhorse machine! Thanks for showing how you press the seams. I have a problem with that sometimes and there usually aren't any suggestions on the best way to do it.

pdudgeon 4:43 AM  

thanks from me too. this is another of those 'someday' patterns for me!

Tazzie 9:06 AM  

Love me some vintage Bernina. Those machines were definitely made to last - at my kids school they have Bernina's there too, but Amy tells me they don't 'feel like your machine Mum'. I'm sure your 'new' Bernie will have a nice quiet life now it's not in a school any more.

I'm so enjoying seeing your lady of the lake blocks. It's all I can do not to grab my scrap triangles and start making some of my own. I've told myself I have to finish something before I can start something new.

Have a great week!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Jenni 11:04 AM  

I can see what you mean about the scrappy blocks. Somehow it always works, doesn't it? Thanks for the pressing info - I try a lot harder these days to get it to work out, but not as well as you do.

Meggie 6:43 PM  

I am definitely a scrappy kind of girl!! Love these blocks.
You are a worthy Haven for Lost Machines!

Stephanie Newman 7:49 AM  

Ooooh always good to make room for a vintage or new Bernina!
Doesn't the 530 have style?
Have fun with it, and your piecing.

MARCIE 1:10 PM  

Oh the 730 was my first machine! I loved it and used it for 30 years before I got a new one. Now my daughter sews with it--it is still going strong! And those little twirls are very useful. I find myself using them in places where I didn't expect to, like you did in your block.

Mary Johnson 5:34 PM  

I like that scrappy block best too. One day I'd like to make a Lady of the Lake, I have a photo of a brown/pink version that I just fell in love with.

Anonymous,  2:02 PM  

Have you ever tried zucchini bread ( sorta like banana bread)? My family loves it and you can freeze it and have it later.
Linda Kay

julieQ 12:40 PM  

I love the way you made the block lay flat. Nice machine that you found!

Maggie A 8:28 PM  

Beautiful colours for the Lady quilt

MJinMichigan 1:44 PM  

Thanks for showing the pressing. In the past I've hsitated to press seams open but have been doing it more and more recently.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP