Tuesday, September 15, 2009

In my quest to cut down on UFOs I pulled out a pile of blocks and put them together over the weekend. Choosing the fabric took more time than actually sewing it, and it was a pretty painless project overall. The top turned out much prettier than I expected, and when I took it to Patchwork yesterday quite a few people offered to adopt it and take it off my hands. As a favour of course. It came home with me despite the offers.

I made these as a Colour Sampler, which is a workshop I teach. All the blocks have the same construction, it's just that the fabrics are in different places in each block. It's an exercise in learning about colour and tone, and I always enjoy making one of these quilts, or watching students build the blocks. There are always surprises, and something to learn about how colour and pattern interact.

I think this is my favourite block in the quilt, and it's not my usual choice of fabrics, but I love how soft and sweet it looks. Everyone agreed that it wasn't Me at all, but I must have loved all the fabrics or they wouldn't have been in my stash. I think there are a lot of Pretty quilts waiting to be made from my stash, not just 1800s reproduction lovelies. I do love most fabrics, except for that piece of sock monkey stuff that Hancocks threw into one of my orders. That found a home elsewhere quick smart.

I vowed that if today was a nice day I would be out in the garden, and that's where I'm heading. I have loads of cuttings to repot before our hot weather, and things need to be tidied after the winter of neglect. I'm becoming more and more interested in succulents, not only for their drought tolerance but for their amazing geometry and superb symmetry. I bought this one from Ikea (honestly, you can buy anything there!) and I love the patterns of the spines. I have to keep turning it round in the light, or it will grow lopsided, and we can't have that. You can't see it very well, but each of those bumps has a long sharp spine, about 1/4" long. I'm very wary whenever I put my hand near this plant; it bites!

10 comments:

Meggie 3:26 PM  

That "Pretty" Quilt is sooo pretty!
I am not very fond of the cactus family, ever since one stabbed my son, & made him very ill.

antique quilter 4:15 PM  

very pretty quilt
I could see how that block would be great for testing out color combinations
interesting to see how the color placement changes the look of the block

Kathie

Diana 8:36 PM  

I remember the six blocks you showed some time ago (2006?!?). I thought it was an intriguing idea. Something similar has been on my to-do list ever since. Maybe I need to get going on it...

Yours turned out beautiful, as usual.

Brenda 9:28 PM  

Wow. Until you pointed it out I hadn't realized that it was the same block. How do we get you to teach in Sydney?

SueR 4:54 AM  

I love the whole idea of changing the look of one block multiple times by changing the colors and placement of the fabric. Gorgeous quilt! I have one pot with 4 different succulents in it. I have stabbed myself several times, so I stay away from it, and they are thriving on the neglect. Will yours have a flower at some point? I like the new look on your blog too.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) 6:08 AM  

You're making such wonderful progress - this beautiful quilt is quite a color study, and the blue and yellow one in your last post.

YankeeQuilter 1:25 AM  

I go through fabric phases so end up with some pieces in my stash that later I wonder how it got there? These pinks would be a happy find though!

woolywoman 8:36 AM  

I wonder where some of the fabrics in my stash come from, too. Worse is fabric I love, but does not seem to play well with others.

As for IKEA, I love their cotton sheets- excellent price for "yard goods" in good solid colors.

Karen 12:57 PM  

I am very much interested in quilt blocks like you have done. Same block but different placements of fabric and value. It is fun to make them.

jt,  7:10 AM  

Hi - I am a brand-new quilter and currently taking classes and working on my first sampler. I am gaining lots of inspiration by admiring other quilts and love your colour sampler.

What is the name of the pattern block and do you have any tips on how I should approach this? I am fascinated that it is one pattern but can look so different when using different colours, patterns and tones. I would like to put this on my list of quilts to do - after I finish my first one!
PS: I am also an identical twin and live in Canada.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP