Saturday, April 12, 2008

My new sewing machines are a Victor DeLuxe, and another Peerless treadle. The Peerless is in beautiful condition, apart from a badly mended belt, but the Victor needs help. The machine itself is pretty well spotless, but the wooden base and case are water damaged. I will keep a lookout for a ruined machine on a good base, and swap them over. I love the green paint, gold decals and silver trims; very stylish.
The Peerless is just as pretty as my other one, and moves so smoothly I can treadle with one foot. If we have another power failure Mereth and I can keep on sewing now, as we have a treadle each.

I came very close to having a migraine on Sunday, had to lie around with my eyes shut until 3 in the afternoon. What a wicked waste of a day! All that good sewing time wasted. I recovered enough to knit on my current sock after tea; this is beautiful Welsh wool called Jitterbug, and it's making a delicious sock. I'm enjoying every stitch.
We went to the patchwork group today, and I made another 15 of my Monkey Wrench blocks. I have 50 as of tonight, 31 to go. I'm getting enthusiastic about this project now, so I will probably keep working on it until it's done, ignoring my rule about only doing it at Patchwork Group. That means I need another easy project to take along with me; I just love having permission to start something new.

6 comments:

mckie2 7:40 AM  

Hi Keryn,

Could you possibly take the base for the Victor to a furniture refinisher and have him sand/glue/refinish (whatever it needs) it for you. It doesn't look in terribly bad shape in the picture. I've had a couple of treadle cabinets refinished that looked a heck of a lot worse than that. I'm very happy with them now.

julieQ 10:38 AM  

Love your new (old) machines. I have one from my father I treasure, he used to sew (gulp) leather jackets on it! Your blocks are so pretty, I am glad you permission to work on them...:)

Lori in South Dakota 8:15 PM  

Ahhh--the green machine. I am SO jealous!!! I wish I could find one over here, I would pet here and oil her and sew like crazy on her. She could match my long arm--who is a wonderful "English Racing Green". when you tire of her, please ship her my way! You are so lucky.

meggie 4:38 PM  

I love my Grandmother's old Singer Treadle, & it still sews beautifully. I must admit, I have wondered about having it refinished, but then I think of the fact that the patina, & the shabbiness, are all part of my familiy's past. My Grandmother bought it new, & it has never left our family. At one stage it spent it's life on a dirt floor in a tent, when my Grandparents had 4 children, & lived in a 2 bedroom house!
I wouldn't part with it for quids. I must write the history of it's life on a piece of paper & tuck it into one of the drawers. I am not sure my kids will keep it, when I am gone.

sewprimitive karen 6:45 PM  

The Patchwork Group sounds fun. The blocks are sooo pretty.

carrieann 11:20 PM  

Hello. My neighbor has the green Victor De Luxe floor model with the drawers, etc... she wants to sell it and I was looking online. Can someone please help me or direct me to find what she could price it as.

Thanks!
Carrie Ann

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP