Sunday, September 16, 2007

It's so hard to keep track of time here, we did intend to post every day but here we are on the last night and one post is all we managed. Yesterday Meredith and I spent some time in the morning photographing Kaye's antique quilts, and one of mine; just before lunch we ran away for a little while to take some photos in yet another early settler cemetary. It was a beautiful afternoon, and we wandered around in the sunshine admiring the weathered stones and lovely spring flowers.Bruce had warned us that there was a very territorial magpie there, so we were prepared for him to attack us. Sure enough, he soon appeared and called out, and when that had no effect he began dive-bombing us in turn. They are quite dangerous if they get near your eyes, so we took appropriate action.You can laugh, but it works!
Every time I visit this cemetary I notice different things. This time it was the lettering styles on the headstones that made an impression. Some of them are so unusual, and I could imagine them pieced or appliqued. When I have a little more time I will make a collage of some of my favourites, and then stitch a few of them.

6 comments:

Anonymous,  11:04 AM  

I will admit to being a lurker to both your site, Keryn, and Mereth's for about a year. Yours are the first two quilting (or any other) blogging sites that I have watched regularly. This whole letter thing has me intrigued. I can't wait till you both get back home and try out some new ones. Even more, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your letters...because you really can't just stick them in a bin. now, can you?! Thanks for all your inspiration and company - Nancy

Carol E. 1:37 PM  

That's a beautiful umbrella!

Hedgehog 1:51 PM  

I love the photos of the words from the cemetary. Who knows where we'll find inspiration!

Tonya Ricucci 5:35 PM  

Those are marvelous letters/words. I can definitely understand the attraction. I'll have to pay more attention to the words next time I go to Pere Lachaise Cemetery.

Donna 11:13 PM  

wonderfully inspiring letters....

meggie 8:48 AM  

I just love cemeteries! The older the better. Wonderful letters, it is true.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP